Question and Answer: 504 Plans, Accommodations, Evaluations

By on August 21, 2016

QUESTION: My adopted son is 8 years old and in the third grade. He has been diagnosed with ADHD and he was a drug baby. He just got a 504 plan, but he has failing grades and I think he needs more services. (The school would not give him a 504 plan or make any accommodations for him before this year because he did not have failing grades.) I requested an evaluation when I signed the 504 plan, but that has not happened. I don’t feel like he is getting what he needs at this point. What can I do? The last time I went in to speak with the principal she said, “What more do you want us to do?” with a snippy attitude. Now I don’t even feel comfortable talking to the principal, and I am very uncomfortable when I go to the school. My son is very forgetful and leaves his homework at school occasionally, but I feel like I am being watched like a hawk if I bring him to get it. Part of his 504 plan is to have a buddy packer to help him make sure he brings everything home but it doesn’t always happen. He has extended time and preferential seating, and I thought he had small group testing, but they are saying he doesn’t have that. Do I need to contact families helping families for legal help?

ANSWER: You’re definitely getting the run around! The federal law, IDEA, clearly states that FAPE (free and appropriate public education) is available to any child with a disability who needs special education and related services, even if the child has not failed or been retained and is advancing from grade to grade (Part 300/B/300.101/c). IDEA also states that a parent has the right to request an evaluation – as you know.
If I were you, I’d do several things before getting legal assistance.

First, make a written request for evaluation. Parents have the right to refer their child. The school legally has to respond to you – the timelines are different from state to state. Send one copy to the principal and one copy to the director of special ed services at the central office. If you don’t get a timely response (about 15 days), make an appointment with the special ed director.

Then get a copy of the policies and regulations for special education and 504 in your state. You can probably get these online, or ask at the central office. Look these over. Quoting law will get you what you want! Principals are famous for their ignorance of the laws surrounding special ed and 504. The manual will also tell you what the process is for making a formal complaint. Make a special note of the required timelines in your state.

Look at your copy of the 504 plan. If you don’t have a copy, get one – you’re supposed to have one. If you wanted small group testing and it’s not in the plan, request another meeting. The great thing about 504 plans is that the complaints go to the Office of Civil Rights. Schools will do almost anything to avoid getting tangled up with OCR complaints – they’re really tough. Check online for the complaint process.

Make a folder of your documentation – teacher notes, report cards, work samples, doctor’s diagnosis of ADHD, history of drug exposure, etc. Write down the principal’s remark with the date and time it was made.

Basically, you need to know your child’s rights and be prepared to exercise them by going through the chain of command. The school district needs to know that you are able and willing to advocate for your child, up to and including formal complaints to state and federal agencies.

None of this is to say that your child is eligible for special education. Some kids with ADHD are eligible and some aren’t. But you have a right to have him evaluated, and you have a right to have his 504 plan appropriately implemented.

Good luck! Let me know what happens.

Copyright Alice Wellborn 2013. All rights reserved.

Posted in: Uncategorized

Concussions and Student-Athletes

By on August 21, 2016

Sports-related concussions have been in the news a lot in the past few years. According to the CDC, “A concussion is a type of traumatic brain injury—or TBI—caused by a bump, blow, or jolt to the head or by a

Improving Your Child’s Education

By on August 21, 2016

What can you do in just fifteen minutes to improve your child’s educational experience? Your September challenge is to pick one of the ideas below and get going! (And if you’re already doing most of them, congratulations – you’re a

Teacher Appreciation Day

By on April 23, 2016

“The dream begins, most of the time, with a teacher who believes in you, who tugs and pushes and leads you on to the next plateau, sometimes poking you with a sharp stick called truth.”–Dan Rather Today is Teacher Appreciation

FERPA: Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act

By on March 27, 2016

In 1974, President Gerald Ford signed the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, commonly known as FERPA, into law. This law, administered by the U.S. Department of Education, applies to all schools that receive public money. Parents (custodial and non-custodial)

504 Plans, Accommodations, Evaluations: Q and A

By on February 26, 2016

QUESTION: My adopted son is 8 years old and in the third grade. He has been diagnosed with ADHD and he was a drug baby. He just got a 504 plan, but he has failing grades and I think he

Developmental Disabilities, Special Ed, and Retention: Q and A Part II

By on February 26, 2016

QUESTION: Thank you so much for your input. I am the one who wants Tyler retained, not the school. I really think he is not ready to be in the 5th grade, so it could be advantageous for him to

Developmental Disabilities, Special Ed, and Retention: Q and A Part I

By on February 26, 2016

QUESTION: My son Tyler is developmentally delayed with ADD and High-Functioning Autism. He was retained in the first grade. Now that he is in the 4th grade, his progress in school is minimal. He is in a regular class only

How to Crack a School Community: 13 Basic Ideas

By on February 14, 2016

1. Attend school programs and events, and introduce yourself to the teachers and administrators. 2. Join the PTA and attend meetings whenever possible. Introduce yourself to the other parents. Participate in projects and events. 3. Learn the names of all

Who to Contact

By on February 13, 2016

One of the most frustrating things about navigating public school is figuring out who to contact about different problems and concerns. Who can help with a bus issue? Who should you call if your child has chicken pox? What if